Would like to host this trial list, so that I educate myself on what I would be paying someone else to do and the magnitude involved.  Our Board of Directors decided this past weekend to invest the overhead in reviewing the listserv concept of communication, as we have been told that this is the direction that our members would like to go.  Our T-1 provider recommended your services due to your excellent support given to their customers.  I feel a small listserv with some internal/external office members as trial would give us a good concept of where we want to go.  An example of a current listserv in our federation is the HUMFED listserv that is currently hosted by the University of Montana and the federation will be taking on the responsibility of this either internally or externally within the next six months.  They are currently using ListProcessor software and are migrating to Majordomo.

Every US state and territory has a "Humanities Council". They are independent, non-profit organizations partially funded through the National Endowment for the Humanities. They promote humanities through a variety of programs and small grants--for example, encouraging the study of local and community history. Although Congress has recently been cutting back money for the national NEH, it has still supported the state councils through other agencies.

The decision of what type of exchange software to use will ultimately involve alot more than a few lists if it works out.  The result will be nationwide communication effort for the federation and our management of our members information exchange resources.  If I came across as a small company - it may be my low key approach to reviewing software, as I like to see what type of service one gets as the average user.  To refer you to the type of directors in my federation that's boards and staff will be utilizing just the HUMFED listserv here is a list of my councils that NEH  has managing their grants http://www.neh.fed.us/state/states.html that make up our federation.

I would really like to review your software and deal directly with the manufacture at least in our initial efforts rather than a third party.  Hopefully your software will be the successful one.  I have downloaded the manuals and reviewed over this past week, prior to calling you.  I will spend more time on this tomorrow, but if am unable to launch this trial shortly will be forced to review other software companies.  Hopefully we can speak tomorrow. - Thank you.

Pete Weiss wrote:

Perhaps it is obvious, but ...

hosting a list and hosting LISTSERV(R) are two entirely different things.  If you're only going to host a couple of lists, the overhead of learning how to install the software and operating it, as opposed to running the list, might be too high a price.

I would be surprised if you could not find some host willing to let you operate your lists for a small or no fee.

/Pete

 At 14:29 07/18/2000 Tuesday, Janet Stauffer - Operations Manager wrote:
>Would really appreciate chatting with someone that has successful set up
>a list from the freeware download for a Windows 95 box.  Please email me
>at [log in to unmask]

End Reply