Ah ha! She owns 7 lists. They are all set to send=editor except two which she is a member of. The one below is set to send=private,confirm. This is the one that was ok after she subscribed herself.  Could that be the issue?

This is the message she received

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

IBUS Majors Seniors Listserv ([log in to unmask]) ([log in to unmask])

The e-mail address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's e-mail address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

The following organization rejected your message: it-listserv1.jmu.edu.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: it-exet2.jmu.edu

it-listserv1.jmu.edu #550 5.1.1 <[log in to unmask]>... User unknown ##

Original message headers:

(134.126.10.132) with Microsoft SMTP Server (TLS) id 14.1.289.1; Thu, 22 Sep

2011 15:54:12 -0400

IT-EXHUB2.ad.jmu.edu ([::1]) with mapi id 14.01.0289.001; Thu, 22 Sep 2011

15:54:21 -0400