Good morning all. I have noticed lately where some of our lists (announce only lists)  have been manipulated as below. Within the template that I use is information talking about editors. It seems owners are adding the editor keyword because of this, but not defining  “send=” correctly. Is the information in this template incorrect? Why would editor need be defined in an announce only list? I noticed this after I was told that the owners carterlx and editormaic are claiming to be unable to send to this list as listserv is sending them user unknown. Thanks in advance for any input.

MAIC Journal of Mine Action

Default-Options= SUBJECTHDR

Subject-Tag= "The_Journal"

Editor= [log in to unmask],[log in to unmask]

Subscription= By_owner

.HH ON

Validate= Yes,Confirm

Review= Owners

Send= Owner

Reply-To= Sender,Ignore

Sender= None

Errors-To= Owners

Auto-Delete= Yes,Full-Auto,Probe(10)

Notebook= Yes,/listarchives,Monthly,Private

Owner= [log in to unmask],Quiet:,[log in to unmask]

Owner= [log in to unmask]

.HH ON

An announce-only list template.  This type of list will be used for

people who only want to send announcements to their lists with no

replies. The list is set up so that only people who are defined as

Editors may post to it.  Responses to list mail are transferred to

the primary list editor.  An editor who is posting to the list must

validate his posting via the "OK" method (in order to defeat

spoofers and broken mail servers that "reflect" postings back

to the list). See Chapter 2.13.6 in the LISTSERV List Owner's

Manual for details.

For large lists, you will want to review the impact of the

passive probing frequency on your system. The proposed value,

10, leads to roughly 1/10 = 10% of passive probes per posting,

assuming that the list is used infrequently (not more than once

a day). With LSMTP version 1.1b or higher, this usually represents

a good compromise between the additional bandwidth and resources

required for individually customizing the 10% of probe messages,

and the overhead for processing bounces for bad addresses that

cannot always be detected without using a probe. With older

versions of LSMTP, you may want to increase the probing interval

to 20 (1/20 = 5% of probes per posting). Remember that sendmail

cannot be used for passive probing without modifications (the

messages will be delivered, but the bounces will never be passed

back to LISTSERV).

.HH OFF

Steve Eckard

IT-Tech Svcs