I agree whole-heartedly with Ben and LSoft on this!

Where this is the list owner's discussion list, I'd like to add that
several of my large lists are owned by people that don't have the
experience to be configuration owners and so I, as site admin, haven't
given them the configuration owner ability.

So for those lists we do something slightly different, but using the same
features Ben mentions.  Those lists have:

   - default-options= nopost
   - send= private,confirm

This means in the first case that no new subscribers may post.  In the
second case, it means that only subscribers may post.   To allow someone to
post means the list owner examines their subscription and removes the
nopost attribute.  Works flawlessly for us.

One caveat ... while I believe someone that posts to a list should be
subscribed and receive distributions, not everyone in my real world
agrees.   In those case, the poster still gets a subscription, but the
subscription has nomail set.

Cheers, Wayne