My earlier musing about turning off the Auto-Delete function was intended as a temporary solution while ListServ/PeachEase and the major e-mail providers work out a solution….  Auto-Delete is useful for disabling abandoned e-mail accounts and such.

I’ve been thinking about another approach (I have 2 more days before Auto-Delete kicks in for the monitored accounts).

I’m considering setting the affected subscribers to “NOMAIL” and notifying them (via a separate e-mail, since ListServ generated messages aren’t getting through to them….).  They would still be able to post, but would have to read posts via the website.  Or they could consider changing e-mail providers.

This could be reversed if a better solution is worked out by the industry.  Or do e-mail providers just not care that these decisions negatively affect ListServ users?  Are we seeing the first indication that ListServ is an outdated technology, in this age of Facebook, Twitter, and other “social media” for staying connected?

Bill Schults
Co-list-owner, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

To post messages, send e-mail to:
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Set your e-mail application to PLAIN TEXT ONLY to post messages.
To contact the list owner:
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
----------------------------------------------------------------
Web based archives and subscription management are available at:
http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/Archives/uv-birders.html

-----Original Message-----
From: LISTSERV List Owners' Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Charles Clausen
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 1:05 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [LSTOWN-L] Yahoo/Hotmail bulk error

The Yes/No turns the Daily Error Monitoring Report (DEMR) off and on. If you set this to "No", you will begin receiving failure notifications singly, in real time as soon as the ListServ receives them, and they will be reproduced in their full length rather than the couple of lines that you see on your DEMR. If you have a lot of subscribers and if errors are occurring frequently, "No" can result in a deluge of lengthy notifications.

The parameter you need to change is the "Full-Auto" - this should be changed to "Manual":

Auto-Delete= Yes,Manual

We have been using this for a couple of years now, and I find that I prefer to keep it this way, though I need to monitor the DEMR regularly to do manual deletions.

For LSoft's info on this, the help page is at:

http://listserv.acor.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ACOR.EXE?SHOWTPL=HELP-WIZARD-KWAUTODELETE2

Charles Clausen

Prostate Problems Mailing LIst

On Tue, 8 Apr 2014 23:32:10 -0400, Elizabeth Trotter <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

>Hi, this is happening to my list too.

>

>Bill mentioned temporarily turning off the automatic deleting of accounts.

> I want to make sure I do that correctly.

>I found the line that says Auto-Delete= Yes,Full-Auto,Probe(0)

>

>Is it enough to change that to No, or do I also need to change the

>Full-Auto part?

############################

To unsubscribe from the LSTOWN-L list:

write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]

or click the following link:

http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-PEACH.exe?SUBED1=LSTOWN-L&A=1

IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING THIS ELECTRONIC MESSAGE:

This message is intended for the use of the person to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, your use of this message for any purpose is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please delete the message and notify the sender so that we may correct our records.

############################

To unsubscribe from the LSTOWN-L list:
write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link:
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-PEACH.exe?SUBED1=LSTOWN-L&A=1