Howdy,

I’ve been trying to get Listserv working on RHEL6, one of the standard supported listserv distributions, which comes with Postfix by default. I figure if I’m going to learn a mail server service, it might as well be a simpler, modern one like postfix, instead of Sendmail.

I’m learning a lot about mailers in the process, but once I try to test my listserv install I keep getting stuck on this fopen error that looks like it should be a simple permissions issue, but I feel like I’ve given everything permissions:

$ mail  listserv

RELEASE

.

$ mail

"/var/spool/mail/user": 1 message

>   1 Mail Delivery System  Tue Mar  8 16:28  77/2628  "Undelivered M"

& 1

>: Command died with status 202:

    "/usr/local/bin/lsv_amin /opt/listserv/spool listserv". Command output:

   lsv_amin: Unable to deliver mail to: listserv lsv_amin: **Error(13)** A call to fopen() failed.

According to http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/lsv-faq.stm#_Toc184195247  , I need to apply 4755 and ownership permissions to lsv_amin that it already has

$ ll  /usr/local/bin/

-rwsr-xr-x. 1 listserv root 10346 Feb 23 15:44 lcmd

-rwsr-xr-x. 1 listserv mail 15030 Feb 23 15:44 lsv_amin

$ ll /opt/listserv/

drwxrwx--x. 2 listserv mail    4096 Mar 22 23:00 spool

Is there some other hidden switch that I’m missing that prevents mail from writing to the spool?

Scott K

IT Engineer, BYU

$ strings /usr/local/bin/lsv_amin

/opt