Dear LSTOWN-L readers,

My understanding of DMARC (admittedly limited) is that it works to prevent abuse of accounts registered with AOL, Yahoo, and the like.  But recently an email with the domain .edu was processed by DMARC and sent out to a list that I read.  Why would an email from an account hosted at a bona fide educational institution get the attention of DMARC?

I also thought that you could send a reply to one of the "dmarc" addresses that Listserv® automatically generates when it encounters DMARC processing, and that your reply would be delivered to the correspondent.  I've been checking around with a couple of correspondents: sometimes it does, sometimes not.  The person with the .edu address didn't get my email.  Fortunately, the correspondent had included her actual address, so I was able to see that and write to her.  Nor was she able to post to a different list which I serve as co-listowner.   She verified that the email was in her "sent" folder, but it never got to the list.

Can anyone shed any light on this situation?  What is the status of DMARC these days?

Sincerely - Ian

Ian Fairclough

George Mason University

703-993-2938

To unsubscribe from the LSTOWN-L list, click the following link: