Hello learned owners,
I recently learned that I was receiving mail from someone who included an address in the form [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> for a list of which I am one of the owners. In light of the following:

17.3.1 The Listname-REQUEST Alias
If you need to communicate with all of the list owners of a single list, simply address your mail to listname-REQUEST. This special address will be expanded by LISTSERV to include all non-quiet list owners of the specified list. For instance, mail to the list owners of the PEKINESE list on LISTSERV.SIRIUS.NET would be addressed to [log in to unmask]
To limit the possibility of random spam being sent to listname-REQUEST addresses, all persons sending mail to them will be required to respond to an OK confirmation request before the mail is forwarded to the appropriate person(s).

Should I infer that the sender sent a confirmation every time that they sent me mail via that address? I would have thought that would have been a red flag for them. Or at least an inconvenience that they would not have wanted to pursue.

I requested that they remove that address from their list and I hope that they will. I'm concerned that they were harvesting addresses to send their newsletters to but I need assurance before confronting them on that.

Thank you