Thanks, Nathan.

But in this particular case, there does seem to have been something different from what you describe:

On 11/18/2019 8:03 AM, Nathan Brindle wrote:
2) Not having seen the full headers on the message myself, the only thing I can suggest is that the message was hung up in a queue somewhere between L-Soft and the eventual recipient, and a mail server reboot or some other action simply dislodged it.  Depending on how that happened, it's possible the message could have looped back through the list.  We see that sort of thing from time to time and basically it's just a head-scratcher as to how a mail server could punch out an old message like that.  They're just zombie messages from the Internet, or whatever you want to call it, I guess.

While I'm entirely ready to believe in zombie messages, in this case it looks like they were hung up, in L-Soft, before they reached the list. Here's the relevant part of the header on the first message:

          helo=PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM) by camaro.dc.lsoft.com (envelope-from
          <[log in to unmask]>) (ecelerity 3.6.0.39694 r(Platform:3.6.0.0))
          with ESMTP id 60/59-02039-BC4CBF85; Sat, 22 Apr 2017 17:02:03 -0400

The second message, a reply a couple hours later, had similar trace entries.

Hal Keen

To unsubscribe from the LSTOWN-L list, click the following link: