2019 propelled environmental advocacy into major focus, and this complex and urgent issue is sure to command more and more attention and mobilization in this new decade. Communications are critical to the work of environmental organizations around the world. Here are firsthand insights from Moshe Barak, an activist with grassroots NGO HomeLand Guardians, on how important email is to the organization's mission to protect Israel's coastline near Haifa from the effects of natural gas harvesting:

Email Powers Environmental Advocacy and Activism

"Since 2017, we've been using LISTSERV to deliver important messages to our members about various activities, such as demonstrations, protests next to the Prime Minister's home, to name a few – and to share achievements and calls to action for people to join us or support us financially," said activist Moshe Barak.

"It's a vital tool in managing this struggle and our contact with our supporters ... it leaves our time and efforts and energy free from technicalities and admin and focused on the core issues themselves."

Key to the organization's efforts and success is its email list, which grew from a few hundred subscribers when it started, to 78,000 members.

"We have reached thousands of people and motivated them, either for actions, such as attending demonstrations using short-notice alerts or with information distribution on important events and developments," Barak said.

The communications led to major results, including:
  • Organizing two scientific seminars with leading scientists and support from six green organizations

  • Breaking a world record with a surfing protest circle of 992 people, bringing major media attention to the issue

  • Assembling 20,000 people to demonstrate at Rabin Square in Tel Aviv and thousands of people to attend presentations all over the country, raising support and creating seeds for people in many other local communities to join HomeLand Guardians' cause
Surfing Protest Circle
A world-record 992-person surfing circle is formed in protest of near-shore natural gas harvesting in Israel
"Other communication tools like social networks have their roles. But they can't replace mailing lists. With the newer tools, you must go to a site or app and check it yourself," said Barak. "Email is more immediate, fast, reliable and it's self-managed, so people can leave the list if they want."

Read more about HomeLand Guardians' advocacy:
http://www.lsoft.com/news/guardians-issue5-2018.asp

Get more email insights and inspiration:
http://www.lsoft.com/resources/pdf/wp-YourEmailMatters.pdf

Happy Emailing!

EmailRules - A LISTSERV Blog for Email Communicators

Contact the EmailRules list facilitators at: [log in to unmask].