On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 11:43:27 -0600 Ben Parker said:
>On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 13:09:27 -0400, Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>Usually it is better to have the graphics on your WEB server and simply
>>provide the URL.
>
>Yes, but when you mail to 500,000 people and they all open mail at about the
>same time your webserver gets buried...  There are no easy answers to this.  We
>have customers who do this both ways (graphics included and only weblinks
>included).  This really only makes sense in HTML email.

I would suggest that if you send mail to 500,000 people and you don't have
the web capacity to handle the hits you're going to get, you're simply
not serious about e-commerce :)  There was an IBM ad with this theme
on US TV not long ago--"We sent out the email but we forgot about web
server capacity until too late and our server went down with all flags
flying" or something like that.

Nathan