Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:08:17 -0500
>I have a private, internal company list. I need to subscribe certain
>managers and allow them to post requests to the web development team,
>but we don't want those people to be able to actually read the
>archives.

There are at least two ways to accomplish this. Both of the methods
shown below require the list to be configured with:

        * Send=Editor
        * Editor= [log in to unmask]
        * Editor= (listname)

where "[log in to unmask]" is a valid email address for the list
editor and "listname" is the name of the list. This configuration
causes LISTSERV to treat subscribers as editors for the purposes of
posting, i.e., postings from subscriber or editor addresses are
accepted and distributed to list subscribers, while postings from all
other addresses are rejected.

Method 1: Include the individual managers as editors

        * Send= Editor,Hold
        * Editor= [log in to unmask]
        * Editor= (listname)
        * Editor= [log in to unmask]
        * Editor= [log in to unmask]
        * Editor= [log in to unmask]

Method 2: Create a list that includes all/only the managers as
subscribers, and grant posting rights to subscribers of that list.

        * Send= Editor,Hold
        * Editor= [log in to unmask]
        * Editor= (listname)
        * Editor= (managers-list)

We use both methods, but I prefer #2. It can significantly reduce
administrative overhead, particularly if you decide that this group
of managers needs the same post-but-don't-read rights on other lists.

Conceptual Background:

"Owner", "Editor", and "Subscriber" are three seperate and distinct
roles with seperate and distinct rights and restrictions. A single
individual may have more than one role on a particular list.

An owner has the authority to change the list configuration, add and
delete subscribers, and change subscribers' options, but will not
receive list postings unless he/she is also a subscriber, and may not
be able to post to the list.

An editor has the authority to post to the list, but will not receive
list postings unless he/she is also a subscriber, and cannot do any of
the "owner stuff" described above unless he/she is also an owner.

A subscriber receives list postings and can access the list archives.
Whether he/she can post to the list will depend upon several factors,
including his/her subscription option settings, the list configuration,
and his/her designation as an owner and/or editor of the list.

For additional information, see the List Owner's Manual and the List
Keyword Reference. Both are available on the L-Soft web site at
<http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/index.html>.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator