Darren Evans-Young <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 09:30:54 -0500
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Brett Watts wrote:

>The situation is that we have announce mailing lists that we to
>subscribe all personnel so we can contact them with important
>information but we don't want them to be able to unsubscribe themselves
>off the lists and miss the information.

We have a similar list at our University.

The email addresses for all employees are stored in a database on another
machine. I have a job that downloads that data each morning. The job
removes all subscribers then reloads with the updated data. If someone
unsubscribes, they are reloaded the next morning. We got complaints at
first, but we advised them that the President of the University made it
mandatory that they be subscribed. No more complaints.  It's not a high
volume list... maybe 1 post per week. I'm amazed at how people complained
about being on that list but receive 20 or more pieces of spam a day.
Now the complaints are that they aren't subscribed to the list. But
that's not my problem. I have no control over the database where I
get the data from.  We run Solaris 9 Listserv 14.3.

I like the list exit idea. That way if they tried to unsubscribe,
you could reply with an email explaining it was policy to remain
unsubscribed.

Darren Evans-Young
Listserv Adminstrator
The University of Alabama