Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 7 Jan 91 21:26:08 +0100
On Mon, 7 Jan 91 13:16:47 EST "John M. Wobus" <JMWOBUS@SUVM> said:
>    I figured  that any problems  with DIST2's mechanisms would  go away
>    with a  monthly iteration or  two of the  BITNET tables but  in this
>    case, that has not happened...

Repeated: it  is NOT a  problem with  the DIST2 mechanism.  The immediate
problem is  that the gateway  used to send the  mail is unable,  for some
reason  local to  that gateway,  to do  a good  job at  delivering it  to
Internet people.  The reason why  this gateway  is used is  that LISTSERV
decided, based  on the  Internet hostname  and on  the version  of DOMAIN
NAMES that  it has been provided  with, to have your  Internet recipients
served by a  particular gateway. The DIST2 mechanism then  moved the mail
through the LISTSERV network until it reached the backbone server closest
to  that gateway,  and that  server performed  the delivery.  There is  a
problem with the  gateway, and there may be a  problem with the selection
of the  gateway, or  there may  be a  local hack  at the  backbone server
closest to the  official gateway that causes redirection  through a local
gateway, but there is no DIST2 problem. You can wait 1 year and install 5
new versions of  LISTSERV, and the problem will still  be there, assuming
the faulty gateway  is not fixed, any possible local  hack at the closest
backbone server is not removed, and DOMAIN NAMES is not updated. You have
3 ways to solve your problem:

1. Ask the owners of the faulty gateway to fix it.

2. Check  that LISTSERV  has an  up-to-date DOMAIN NAMES  and that  it is
   making a reasonable gateway selection decision (eg INTERBIT).

3. See  how the  mailer on the  closest backbone server  to this  node is
   handling Internet mail; if they have  a local hack to reroute INTERBIT
   via an  unofficial gateway which doesn't  work and which they  are not
   willing to fix, they have to be removed from the backbone.

There is no other way to solve your problem.

  Eric