Dave Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 7 Jul 1997 09:57:53 EDT
On Sun, 6 Jul 1997 19:20:59 -0400 Jeffrey Boulier said:
>Unfortunatly, if the computer your LISTSERV resides on is announcing
>itself as WHATEVER.BITNET, AOL's Internet lookup fails (because you're on
>BITNET, not the Internet. Duh.) So AOL rejects your mail.
>Also in our case, GWUVM seems to be sort of inconsistent on whether it is
>calling itself GWUVM.GWU.EDU or GWUVM.BITNET, anyway. Not that this really
>matters, 'cause we're putting the poor thing out of its misery in August,
>but it's sort of annoying.

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, with the default on our
system which is on both Bitnet and the Internet, with people not being
able to respond to mail from the .BITNET address since it's not a real
"domain".  I fixed it by adding

*List-Address=OUR.DOMAIN.ADDRESS

to the list header so it always sends mail with our Internet address.
Of course you'd need to replace OUR.DOMAIN.ADDRESS with your real (non
BITNET) Internet domain.  :)

*List-Address=FQDN

(Fully Qualified Domain Name) also seems to work and is more general.

>>> Dave Hardy   Internet: [log in to unmask]
                 DISCUS-L owner (Discus fish)  Stripes owner (Angelfish)
                 CASTRECL co-owner (Musical Theatre cast recordings)