Charles Oriez <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 08:19:02 -0600
At 06:21 AM 10/27/2004, S Lamido wrote:

>Could all the marvellous experts help out with this one
>
>Some lists need an additional security in place for some of our lists
>(questionnaire)to ensure people who subscribe are actually members of the
>various groups and not just members of the public.

contact [log in to unmask] to see if you can make use of their
code.  I don't know whether they wrote it themselves or snagged it from
somewhere else.

see for instance http://whistler.sierraclub.org/listsub/?listname=rmc-excomm

They require name, zip code, and member number for their members only
lists.  That data is matched against their member database for the
subscription to go through.

headers file has  Subscription= By owner

I tested it with a valid member number and last name but pointing to a
wrong zip code and the subscription was rejected.  Several other attempts
by me to see if there was a way around it all failed, with pointers to the
proper members only subscription page.  I'm told that the INFO query
returns instructions, but their server is responding slow this morning.

I think they once told me that the site administrator has to maintain a
database of which lists are managed this way, but that presents no
significant problem.

--
[log in to unmask] 39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
Lamport's Law: "A distributed system is one in which the failure of a