Vickie Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 29 Jun 1995 00:47:29 -0400
Re: Mail programs in UNIX that will generate resent lines, so
that moderated lists show the writer in the From: line.

Eric Thomas suggested using the SEND= Editor,Hold keyword.

Doug Winship <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> There are at least two UNIX mailers that will do this, Elm and Pine
> (3.91 or later, earlier versions won't work).  Note that Elm doesn't
> do it *exactly* right so, even if you are subbed to the list, you won't
> be sent a copy after it's posted.  Pine (3.91 or later) seems to do it
> as LISTSERV expects, no problems.  For both you use the "bounce" feature.

Thanks Doug & Eric -- I tried the bounce feature on Pine.  It generated
resent lines with no problem.  But I couldn't figure out how to
edit the message before I bounced it.

My subscribers almost never submit a message that doesn't have to
have an address added, excess quoted lines deleted, the subject
line clarified, or something else changed.

I have the same problem with Eric's suggestion that we try the
SEND= Editor,hold  keyword.  It won't let me fix the problems
that exist in almost every message that eventually goes out.

Is there an easy way to edit the bounces?  Or a setting in Pine
I don't know about that would let the Forward option generate
resent lines?

For that matter, at this point I'd take anything that will
run on UNIX or offline and send out properly formatted
messages (that I have the chance to lightly edit).  I have to
think that many people are moderating lists using something
other than Ricemail (I hope).

Turns out MSU appears to have substantially increased the
charges for using the Ricemail mailer on the IBM, and I need to find
anything else that will work very soon.

Thanks for any help.

Vickie Banks
EDTECH Owner