Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 04:15:29 +0200
On Tue, 8 Jul 1997 20:45:42 +0000 Duane Campbell <[log in to unmask]> said:

>I have  yet to see  any outrage at what  I thought was  most outrageous,
>i.e., that  the AOL tech  reps are not told  of the problems  that AOL's
>system has with listservers. So if an  AOL member has a problem with the
>list he is on, the tech rep says it isn't their fault and throws it back
>to the list owner.

Believe me, I  have tried to impart this upon  AOL, unfortunately without
any success thus  far. This situation is particularly  painful for people
who  use mailing  lists for  business  purposes and  especially when  the
subscriber is paying  good money to receive, say,  timely financial news.
In the traditional  "old boy" academic/hobby world, we can  flame AOL all
we want and  tell people to use  another ISP, but in  the corporate world
where money changes  hands and lawyers run the show,  it's another story.
Asserting  that AOL  is blocking  mailing  lists and  thus people  should
consider switching to another provider  is a dangerous proposition as, if
it got ugly (and  I am *not* saying that AOL would  ever do anything like
that, however  lawyers must of course  assume the worst), you  might find
yourself trying  to prove  something that  only AOL is  in a  position to
prove or disprove. Most large  newsletters reach hundreds of thousands of
subscribers, which  translate to millions  of dollars of  monthly revenue
for AOL,  or tens of  millions per year, or  however many zeroes  for the
life span of the account... Even  a very liberal lawyer would get worried
when doing  the math.  And even setting  lawyers aside,  mud-slinging and
bad-mouthing are not very popular  activities in the financial world, and
people may  choose to refrain from  giving useful advice purely  out of a
concern to "keep a high profile". This is why I have been pushing for AOL
to go public and *officially* admit (Jay's informal messages on a mailing
list hardly  count) that AOL  is blocking large  lists and that  the only
available corrective action  is after the fact and on  an informal basis,
until  Jay gets  tired  of all  our  whining and  remembers  that he  has
deadlines  to meet  :-) This  might not  be the  high point  of AOL's  PR
campaign, but I think AOL would get  away with it if they would just wave
the spectre of  "spam" and evil incommensurate. This in  turn would allow
people to openly and honestly recommend (to a mostly non-technical crowd)
the  use of  another ISP  for newsletters  and in  general any  important
mailing list subscription.  There would be no bad mouthing,  but simply a
pointer to  some AOL  web page  where the problem  would be  explained in
marketing-ese and  AOL would get  its best  shot at convincing  people to
keep their AOL account  on top of the new account they  will have to get,
as opposed to people  finding out the hard way and  getting all worked up
and upset.

  Eric