Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 24 May 1999 18:15:21 -0400
On 20 May 99, at 19:43, Roger Fajman wrote:

> I've been running some of my lists on Auto-Delete=Yes with passive
> probing also would like a better explanation of when errors are still
> forwarded to the list owner instead of being handled by LISTSERV.

Auto-Delete handles *bounces*. As in: mail from the list could not be
delivered.

> One case seems to be posts sent to the list that contain list headers in
> the body.  This seems good, since most of these are mistakes on the part
> of the user.
>
> Another case seems to be posts to a list where the address matches the
> Filter settings.  I guess that LISTSERV's only option is to ignore these
> or pass them on to the list owner.

These are not bounces, they are errors that may require list-owner
intervention. In particular they are attempted postings that cannot be
processed for some reason.

> I also get ones that say they are because the message has a MIME type of
> message/delivery-status.  These are less clear.

This is probably also a bounce that went to the wrong place, i.e. the list
address instead of the bounce address, and hence would have been processed
as a post to the list, but which LISTSERV fortunately recognized as
possibly not a proper post. (I'd have to see the actual message to be
sure, but I'm almost certain that's the case).

All of these "attempted posts" (as opposed to bounces) must be forwarded
to the list owner for determination, because it's possible that these were
real posting attempts that only _looked_ like they might be misdirected
bounces.

Francoise