Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 19:50:35 EST
On Mon, 18 Mar 1996 11:51:00 EST "s.merchant" <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>I asked in an earlier message why, for a user with
>        From: <[log in to unmask]>
>and
>        Sender: ADVOX Gateway <[log in to unmask]>
>why listserv  attempted to subscribe  the postmaster address  instead of
>the one in "From:".

Why  do you  say  the "Sender:"  address  is the  wrong  one? Someone  or
something inserted the "Sender:" address. There are two options:

1. The  "Sender:" address was  inserted for  a good reason,  for instance
   because the "From:" address is known to be unreliable or not to work.

2. The "Sender:"  address was inserted for no reason,  simply to sit here
   decoratively, wearing  a big sign saying  "I am here but  DON'T USE ME
   FOR ANYTHING OKAY?" Furthermore, this  address does not actually work,
   stressing  the  fact  that  its   presence  is  only  decorative,  not
   functional.

LISTSERV assumes that  the address was inserted for a  reason. Why do you
think this is an unreasonable assumption?

  Eric