Thu, 15 Dec 1994 01:09:39 EST
Attempting to not repeat previous errors of judgement, I decided to
research the claim that money would be given to a food bank for
every piece of mail sent to various addresses, and found the following
message at the world-wide web address http://north.pole.org/ :
------------------------
Please Don't Spam Santa

There is a rumor going around that we're trying to get as many messages
as possible sent to [log in to unmask] Not true ... Santa has all the
mail he can handle and asks that you refrain from spamming him or there
might be a few last-minute transfers to the "naughty" list.
------------------------
I think the possible source of this confusion is the following message,
which I located at http://www.sun.com/events/santa/index.html:
------------------------
Each time you visit the North Pole Sun makes a donation to
the Second Harvest Food Bank, an organization that's been
feeding the Bay Area's homeless since 1974.
------------------------
Note that this says that Sun donates money to the food bank every time
you visit the north pole WWW page, _not_ every time you send mail to
one of the addresses linked to the WWW page.  This is not completely
obvious from the way this is worded, but I think it's the correct
interpretation.

-jwgh

They both savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than
ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things.
           (Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites)