Norm Aleks <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 20 Jan 1995 08:10:39 -0500
On Fri, 20 Jan 1995, Eric Thomas wrote:

> ...  only if the list owner has an account on  the machine where LISTSERV
> is running.   You have  configured your  list  with the highest available
> level of security, and LISTSERV is just following your orders :-)

Eric  also pointed out to me  that my "bulk  add" using "QUIET ADD listname
DD=whaever" shouldn't work with Validate= ...,NoPW.  (Very nicely: "are you
*sure*?", he said :-) ) It's true, using a DD doesn't work at this "highest
available  level of security," which is  actually  the reason I settled for
passwords alone on my list.  (Here's the problem, as I guessed when I first
ran into it, and as confirmed by Eric's mail.  When LISTSERV gets a command
that requires confirmation, it sends out the magic-cookie message and saves
the command to run it   when the cookie   is returned.  However,   LISTSERV
*doesn't* save the  associated DD file.  So,  when you do confirm a command
referencing a DD, LISTSERV will complain that the DD is missing.)  I should
have made a note of that ...

Well, I'm sure the original poster has plenty of things to try *now* :-)

Norm
--
"New Vaccine may Contain Rabies"