Fri, 21 Jun 1996 02:03:41 -0500
On Fri, 21 Jun 1996, Eric Thomas wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jun 1996 10:05:00 EDT Shahrukh Merchant
> >2. Add a command (which would be sent to listserv@...)
> >        approve listname [pw=xxxx]
> >        Headers AND body of message immediately following approve
> >        command
> >   EVERY mail client I know lets one read a file into the body of the
> >   message, and for those inclined it is not hard to write a simple
> >   script
> >   to automate this.
>
> But how do you get the headers? :-) Excuse me but with most mail programs
> it is  actually not easy  at all, unless  you mean the  *visible* headers
> that you can  cut and paste and that aren't  sufficient. Anyway, this can
> be implemented  in 5 minutes outside  LISTSERV. Just make a  mailbox that
> maps to a program that will read the address you want to send to from the
> first line and add Resent- lines.

For items which come for approval where the Resend field is needed
(not the OK) items, and if one is using Pine, a technique which I
believe Sylvia (QUAKERS-L ?) first mentioned works.  Save the item to a
separate "folder" (don't "export" it, you'll lose the header), get out
of pine, open the folder with an editor and you can change just about
anything you want.  I use it to add a Reply-to: field for things like
surveys, to be certain no one inadvertently  sends the long survey replies
back to the list (AUTOCAT has Reply-to= Both,respect ).  For the OK items
you can, if you really must, export the file, strip off the minimal header,
go into Elm, read in the file, then write your own header.  Not a lot of
fun, and only for emergencies, but it does work.

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L