Glenn Alperin <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 23:27:06 -0400
Vice Sabio wrote:

>I have yet to hear a justification for permitting anyone other than
>the list owner to access subscription lists in non-closed environments.

I can give you one, and I can tell you how to go about setting it up, as I
recall having done the last time such a query came up here.

My list is set to

* Subscription= By Owner
* Review= Owner

in addition to

* Confidential= Yes
* Validate= Yes

As a result, any command I send to listserv must be accompanied with a
listserv password (created with the PW ADD command).  Additionally, I do
not add subscribers to my list without first "screening" them to make sure
they are really going to be appropriate people for my list.  This usually
involves a give and take of 2 or 3 e-mails to verify that I have the right
e-mail address, to verify that there is a 2-way gateway between me and
that other address funcitoning properly, and to verify that the potential
subscriber is not attempting to spoof somebody else's e-mail address, in
addition to verifying the appropriateness of the person joining my list.

Now, all of this boils down to the fact that people can not get the list
of addresses by themselves.  However, by the nature of some of our
discussions, it is often helpful for two or more people to communicate
amongst each other "off the list" per se, either because they do not wish
to go over old turf which is extremely familiar to them but perhaps not to
the rest of the list, or because the appropriateness of their discussions
are really not for the list anyway.  That said, I do sporadically post the
list of subscribers to the list itself.  For all intents and purposes,
because it is a subscribe by owner list and a confidential=yes list and a
review by owner list, the only people who are able to view the list of
subscribers are the people already subscribed to the list and either have
access to the list archives or who see the list posted whenever I post it
to the list.  Actually, it is probably time I should post another of these
to my list.  It has been a few months since the last time I did that.

Glenn, whose list is set to

*Subscription= By Owner    Review= Owner   Confidential= Yes

and who has no worries of spammers as a result