Michael Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 14:54:09 +0100
On Wed, 13 Jan 1999 00:31:12 -0600 Kenneth Sax said:
>I understand that this parameter can be used to limit the size of posts.
> However, it doesn't appear to stop a clueless subscriber who decides to
>post a .jpeg or .gif attachment to our list.  Can someone please tell me
>how to prevent file attachments (particularly LARGE file attachments) from
>being posted to a list?

It's a sort of a game.  You have to decide what the largest message you
want to go through the list is and set Sizelim= accordingly.  If someone
then posts a message with an attachment that is longer than Sizelim=,
then LISTSERV will reject it.  Otherwise LISTSERV will accept it.  There
is no way to specifically reject attachments other than by overall message
size.  I generally set Sizelim= 400 or less on most of my lists for this
reason.

Nathan

In real terms... decide how big you want the limit to be in terms of how
many KBytes. For each 100k of attached file, roughly 1800 lines of MIME
(B64) encoding are required (+ a few for overheads). So, for example,
setting a sizelim=400 would allow for attachments up to about 25K.

cheers,

Michael.