Betty Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 10:46:11 -0500
Hiya,

Samantha asked:
>OK...Another newbie question.  I know how to set an individual on my
>list to review...howdo I change every subscriber to review (it is a
>relatively small list and we have been having a lot of personal
>messages posted that really should not be seen by the entire list).
I believe there are two ways to accomplish this.

USING EDITOR
Step 1.a Tell the LISTSERV that you want to review messages from all new
subscribers and to send the approval request to you. Change your list header
to include the following keywords. (Note: if these keywords are already
present in your list header, put a comma after their existing options and
add the options specified below. Then mail the new list header to your
LISTSERV. Note, you should always keep a backup copy of a working list
header in case you really blow the syntax.
* send=            Editor,hold
* Editor=          [log in to unmask]

Using Review
Step 1.a Tell the LISTSERV that you want to review messages from all new
subscribers and to send the approval request to you. Change your list header
to include the following keywords. (Note: if these keywords are already
present in your list header, put a comma after their existing options and
add the options specified below. Then mail the new list header to your
LISTSERV. Note, you should always keep a backup copy of a working list
header in case you really blow the syntax.

* Default-options= review
* Editor=          [log in to unmask]

Step 1.b Wait for the confirmation from the LISTSERV that it took the new
header, and then Check to make sure your command worked. Use a nonlistowner
account to subscribe to your list, and send a test post, to make sure the
list header changes have worked and that the LISTSERV is setting new
subscribers to review. You should receive a approval required message from
the LISTSERV asking you to approve the message prior to it being released to
your list.

Step 2.a Tell the LISTSERV that you want to review messages from all current
subscribers. Set all current subscribers to where their posts will come to
you to be reviewed by, sending the following command to the LISTSERV:

quiet set listname review for *@*

Note that you need to substitute the name of your list in place of
Llistname. Preceding your command with "quiet" tells the LISTSERV not to
notify the subscribers of the change (You will notify them after you're sure
things are working).

Step 2b. Wait to receive a confirmation message back from the LISTSERV. This
message should list all of your subscribers. Check to make sure your command
worked.
Post a test message from your listowner account to see if the set listname
review for *@* command worked. You should receive a approval required
message from the LISTSERV asking you to approve the message prior to it
being released to your list.

Hope this helps.
I think it's accurate.

Betty