Joan Korenman <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 25 May 1994 15:01:20 -0500
        Pete Weiss writes:

> If you become familiar with these LDBASE techniques, you can find
> the answers to most questions that have already taken place.

        Pete, I've learned an immense amount from you over the years, and I
greatly appreciate your willingness to help and, especially, to provide
concrete examples.  But I disagree with you about the message I sent.  I
read both LSTOWN-L and HELP-NET.  Thus, I've probably seen most of the
messages a database search would turn up, and they didn't prove useful.
The reason they didn't is that I lacked the basic knowledge of how the
filter= feature works.  And even if that information IS contained SOMEWHERE
in the logfiles, wading through 1000 messages that contain the keyword
"filter=" hardly seems like an efficient use of my time.

        What I needed was what Jim Gerland provided: a statement of when
the filter= feature was added and what documentation describes it.  I wrote
for the file LSV-V17F CHANGES and there it was.  I missed it the first time
around because there was so much other information provided at the same
time.  I didn't know what would prove important for me.

        I'm a big fan of database searches, but there are times when what's
needed is a single filename.

        Joan Korenman        Internet: [log in to unmask]
                             Bitnet:   korenman@umbc