Eric Paul-Hus <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 3 Oct 1996 11:20:03 -0700
Eric Thomas from L-Soft said:
> On Wed, 2 Oct 1996 13:00:54 -0700 Eric Paul-Hus
> said:
>
> >But it happens with Banyan other PC LAN addresses in the form
> >Myfirstname%MY_full_last_name%my_departmant%my_division%mailhost%our_gat
>
> What is the likelihood of a normal  user managing to type this address in
> the "Send to:"  field of his mail program without  making a mistake?

I did not say it was the smartest of things. It happens. It pisses you
off OK but it does not make it disappear ... And I was looking at
X.400/500 addresses in your manual: Names are short and you are
something like over the 40 char mark.

> >The only stupidity I see in the situation is the 80 char. card inherited
> >from the punch card and still used on IBM VM/XA et al ...
>
> If you want my opinion, the  real stupidity when people state without any
> knowledge  of the  subject  that  everything they  want  to  do and  that
> LISTSERV cannot do is  due to a stupid punch card legacy.

I agree I inadvertently(sp?) asked for it there...

[...]

> >And, if the LISTSERV is on VM than you need to limit much further
> >because a mailed command is "one record" by line so I guess the working
> >limit is closer to 60 char. unless there is a trick to use
> >"continuation" lines.
>
> You may  not know anything  about VM, but there  are many people  on this
> list who do, and I'm afraid you've just made a fool out of yourself :-)
(remember when you point a finger to someone there is three pointing at
you :-)

In the Armed Forces they tought me that there were no dumb candidates
just incompetent instructors :-)

Now, correct me if I'm wrong: In a far away time when I learned (only a
tiny bit) about JCL they told me that the "/" command type of line was
limited to an 80 bytes fixed length record.
LISTSERV uses that kind of command for remote mail operation. I maybe
confusing thing and I welcome the correction. I am just a little
concerned about other people that volunteer their time to manage mailing
list with some or no computer experience... Maybe that is why we receive
private e-mail instead of answers on the list ...

I do know that PC/VM relationship tickles some NASPA and CADASPO (or
wathever the acronym is) member my sister has been doing system
programming for 20 some years and now she is in a LAN environment. In my
time, they told me the future was three-tiered computing, working ...
togheter ... Do I think VM is a "legacy" OS, yep! So is UNIX System V.
But that is off-topic ...