Wed, 19 Jun 1996 21:29:01 -0500
A 'scoped .22 for squirrels, Elena?  Would not open sights be a bit more
sporting?  And, really, there isn't all that much meat under the fur, skin
and fat that you need worry about damaging anything, unless you want to
present whole  roasted squirrels for dinner, in which case you would
want them to be pretty.  Just aim for the head.

I can't say I've found squirrel meat horribly tough, when cooked properly.
Moist heat is definitely the best way to cook them, and the only way for
the tough old males.  With plenty of basting grilling might be ok for the
very young ones.

> >when it is the proper season.  So, when would be convenient for you?
>
>    Well, depending on what part of deer season.... you have bow, shot gun,
> rifle, and black-powder.  And I have deer meat left in the freezer from last

You forgot crossbows.  Can't tell you dates as the commission won't set the
actual dates until very late August or early September.  However, given
the drought I imagine the season will be pretty lenient as there will be
far more deer than there is forage.  The bow and black powder seasons
rather coincide down here, and there is some overlap with the regular
season.  I let my propane delivery man take one deer a year.  You may have
one also, though I can't guarantee the quality as they haven't a great
deal to eat other than the corn I put out for them.

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L