James Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 May 1993 21:30:37 CDT
On Wed, 5 May 1993 13:58:52 EST Nathan Brindle said:
>I have noticed lately that a subscriber who is using Pegasus mail and
>replies with text has been having that problem with picked-up header lines.
>Don't quite know what to tell users except ask them to delete those
>lines, but there seem to be a lot of hardheads out there who don't feel
>it's worth their time to do that.  (Kind of like the hardheads who don't
>read the listowner's messages regarding how to unsub and send their
>request to the list.)  :)

In Pegasus Mail there is an option for including messages.  Preferences,
General Options, Comment character.  I use Pegasus with a comment of
">" (default setting), but I suspect some people tried something else
and then returned to "> "", but including a space.

This used to happen OFTEN on my list ([log in to unmask]), but an announcemt
to the effect of "...do not include a space between '>' and any headers you
wish to include.  Your mail will get rejected.  I will not forward them to
the list.  Better yet, include *NO* headers at all in your return mail...."

I guess you could say it is a Pmail problem (its certainly NOT a Listserv
problem), but if the user keeps his default comment ">" instead of "> "
Listserv mail will not get rejected.
My disappointments come in all sizes, to fit my hopes.
James Ford -  Consultant II, Seebeck Computer Center
              The University of Alabama (in Tuscaloosa, Alabama)
              [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
              Work (205)348-3968  fax (205)348-3993