Mario Rups <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 23 May 1995 09:20:56 -0400
>Poster:       "Geert K. Marien" <[log in to unmask]>
>   I fear  none of these people  and I don't  fear a law suit  because I
>know the  law and  can argue  effectively for free  speach, if  the need
>arises.

Although it must be delightful to know the law and to be able to argue for
free speech, I would think it even more delightful to be rich.  You see,
then I'd be able to afford the lawyers whom I would need to argue my case
in a fashion that would be likely to succeed in a court of law.  And I'd
have enough money to be able to tide me over until I find another job,
assuming I'll be able to find one.  Should my name / place of work be
associated with a law-suit (which would be inevitable), at BEST my Internet
access would be cut off, and, quite possibly, my job itself might be
jeopardized, and on very good legal grounds (use of company computer for
unauthorized private ends).

Always assuming I win the case (right, truth, and justice automatically
prevail only in the best of all possible worlds, and I'm not Pangloss), it
would be a Pyrrhic victory.

No, thank you.  Defending one's rights and the rights of others is a noble
ideal, but some of us must balance ideals with the realities of life and
making a living.  I pass the homeless every day I go to work, and I'm not
eager to join their ranks.  If *you* want to be guinea pig and pit yourself
up against a government, help yourself.  I'm with Douglas: it would be
bye-bye, list.

>   Enough said.

Yep.

Mario Rups