Brian Lingard <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 16 May 1999 21:57:32 -0400
16 May, 1999 Ottawa Canada

I am quite familiar with the message trapped due to to, from etc headers
pointing to the list being found in the message body.

What happened is your subscriber quoted a message previously posted to
your list and included the header lines.

As part of the dup checking Listserv does, it traps such messages as
possible mail loops  and notifies both the listowner and the poster.

Solution:  If your subscriber absolutely must quote a whole message
including its header lines, have him prefix the header lines with:

"X-" as in: X-to:, X-Sender: x-whatever: etc.

Or prefix say a ">: to each header line so LISTSERVE won't pick it up as
a mail header.

In general, there is seldom a good reason for quoting a message
previously posted on a list, in full and especially including its header
lines.

I try to encourage my subscribers to sum up the message they are replying
to in a sentence or two in their own words, but you'd think I was asking
them to get waxed or something.

Anyway, dup checking is why LISTSERVE looks in a message for headers
pointing to the list.  And quote-a-holics are the people who usually run
into this problem.

Good luck!

Brian