Robert Ponterio <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 09:48:23 -0500
>BTW, I've also sent query and scan commands to the new unix listserv
>address and haven't rec'd answers after a number of hours. Anyone
>else coming up against this?
>
>Thanks everybody... :-)
>
>Maureen

Yes.  We (FLTEACH owners) are finding that responses from:

tend to be very slow.  We have waited all day to GET a log file, and I'm
sure that some requested logs never came.  We sorely miss the nearly
instant response that we used to get using BITNET's SEND feature.  It
sure would be nice to have a faster turn around time for list
maintenance chores.  By the time I get a response, I have forgotten what
I was doing (of course, that's just my failing brain ;-)  I am finding
that getting a response to an archive search  also take a long time,
even using the nice WWW interface, but not always.  On the other hand, the
new version has lots of features that we love, so on the whole the move
has been a plus. We're also hoping that the new server will improve with
age ;-)

We have begun doing a daily REVIEW  so we have a local subscriber
listing to consult to check subscription addresses when subscribers
write to us asking for assistance.  That helps some, though not for
checking options.  (Querying the entire list of 2400 subscribers every
day would be a pain and in any case the result would be out of date
before we even received it, so we are just trying to deal with the
delays.)

BTW  In spite of some technical problems, the move from the UBMV to the
[log in to unmask] address went very well.

Bob
 Robert Ponterio                     | [log in to unmask]
 co-manager of FLTEACH               | State Univ. of New York Cortland
 Foreign Language Teaching Forum     |_________________________________
 http://www.cortland.edu/www/flteach/