Fri, 10 Nov 1995 21:41:24 -0600
On Fri, 10 Nov 1995, Eric Matthews wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Nov 1995, Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843 wrote:
> > That IS the way to ADD a password.
>
> Thanks.
> But how does it know which list I'm talking about?

It doesn't, as personal passwords don't apply to individual lists, they
apply to every list at the node in question.  Personal passwords are used
not only by listowners but also by subscribers, and one personal password
applies to every list run by that particular node.

> Do you mean it sets the password for me sending messages to the listserv and
> NOT for any owner trying to change the list settings?

The *list* password and the *personal* password are two totally different
things.  Some listowners don't even use list passwords, they stick with
personal passwords.

By the by, I'ld suggest you not sign yourself simply "Eric."  By long
standing tradition that is reserved to *the* Eric (Eric Thomas).

Douglas

       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L