Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 15:11:29 -0500
My understanding is that if the topic is not in the sublist, it will
just be sent to people with the topic of "Other", which on a list
without topics is everyone.

Francoise

On 11 Jan 2007 at 11:27, Paul Russell wrote:

> Appended below is a question from one of my list owners. I have changed
> the list names in her message, because both are private, internal-use-only
> lists.
>
> If I understand correctly, the list owner intends to enable the topics
> feature on a superlist and its sublist, and believes she can prevent some
> superlist messages from being distributed to sublist subscribers by using
> a topic which is not defined on the sublist.
>
> I suspect that she is mistaken, but I do not recall ever attempting to use
> the Sub-Lists= and Topics= keywords in this manner. I doubt that topics
> option settings on the sublist will have any effect on messages posted to
> the superlist. I suspect that all messages posted to the superlist will be
> distributed to all subscribers on the sublist, with the exception of those
> who are subscribed to both lists and have superlist topics option settings
> that exclude certain topics.
>
> Will this work the way the list owner believes it will work? If not, is
> there a way to configure a superlist/sublist pair so that only certain
> messages posted to the superlist are distributed to the sublist subscribers?
>
> > I'm getting ready to make some changes to LIST-1 momentarily (as soon
> > as Denise gives me owner rights to be able to do so) and I want to
> > verify my understandings with you.
> >
> > We're getting ready to sub-lists = LIST-2 to LIST-1.  Therefore
> > LIST-1   will be the superlist.
> >
> > We're going to enable topics = (don't know what keywords we'll use yet)
> > to make certain LIST-1 topics private from LIST-2.
> >
> > LIST-2 will not have topic enabled.
> >
> > So,  for the sublist of the superlist which has topics enabled,  and
> > message posted to the superlist with out a topic will be distributed to
> > everyone both on the super and sublists... correct?
> >
> > To exclude the sublist,  a topic of "private," for example, would only
> > distribute to those subscribed to the topic "private" on the
> > superlist... correct?
> >

> --
> Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
> OIT Messaging Services Team
> University of Notre Dame

Francoise Becker

There is only one LISTSERV(R) -- the product that launched the
email list communication industry in 1986. To discover the
story behind LISTSERV, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/corporate/20anniversary.asp