Dave Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:25:00 EDT
Hi all, I have a few list members on one of my lists whose messages
bounce back with an error similar to "Relaying not allowed".  I just
got a message from one who claims that he's not getting the list mail
but individual mail comes through ok.

My question is, exactly what is relaying?  I know that disallowing it
is an anti-spam measure, but I also know that other systems have
restricted their SMTP ports without blocking LISTSERV mail, as they
might bounce back with "Relaying not allowed" for a day or two, then
it stops.

Does this problem have to do with LISTSERV's "distribute" feature
where our system is not directly connecting to the SMTP port of
every list member, but some other system (the distribution point) is?
Why would this matter?

Is there a way I can tell the people at these systems how to restrict
"relaying" without killing LISTSERV mail too?

Thanks.

>>> Dave Hardy   Internet: [log in to unmask]
                 DISCUS-L owner (Discus fish)  Stripes owner (Angelfish)
                 CASTRECL co-owner (Musical Theatre cast recordings)