Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 4 Mar 1992 16:10:16 +0100
On Tue, 3 Mar 1992 17:56:44 -0700 James Graham <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>When I  attempt to PUT a  file, I receive the  following message: 'Error
>256  from  COPYFILE  while   processing  your  "PUT  NAFSANET  DIRECTRY"
>request.' (...)
>
>Is there a list of error messages anywhere?

If you have access to a CMS site, do HELP COPYFILE for the meaning of the
error  code. If  you don't,  you aren't  missing much  anyway. 256  means
"unexpected  error", ie  that is  what you  get for  miscellaneous system
problems  the  developers didn't  assign  a  particular return  code  to.
Obviously "out of disk space" on a copy operation is a totally unexpected
system error, so in their infinite  wisdom the developers of COPYFILE did
not assign any  particular error code to this condition.  In other words,
256 means "disk full" 95% of the time.

  Eric