Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 5 Jul 1998 07:41:45 -0400
At 07:06 PM 7/4/98 -0500, Winship wrote:
>I didn't have to worry about wrapped lines when we were on VM but when
>they booted us to unix and the filelist became the "catalog" I puzzled
>a bit about adding new files as the Pine line wrap caused LISTSERV to
>ignore the new file designation when I PUT the catalog.
>
>The trick I use in Pine is I let the line wrap (a line I know must not
>wrap).  When I finish that line, now two due to wrapping, I go to the
>end of the original line, add a space, go to the beginning the wrapped
>part, hit backspace and there it is, a nonwrapped long line, what LISTSERV
>accepts.

With both pine and elm, the "real" trick is to use an editor, not the
built-in composers.  Using "vi" with line numbering enabled, you just
can't be fooled by line wrapping.  I think that elm does it from the
EDITOR environment variable; whereas, in pine you configure an
"alternate editor" and tell it to use that.

HTH,
Stan