Thu, 13 Jan 2000 00:20:29 -0500
"Dr. Ingrid Shafer" wrote:

> eGroups currently offers $500.00 to any listowner who moves a large list
> into their system and maintains it there for (I believe) a few months.
> I presume that's a direct attempt to get Listserv(R) business.  I have
> just set up a small unpublished list for a university course in eGroups
> to escape and inefficient Majordomo distribution program the university
> insists on using, and everything seems to work well.

I'm looking at eGroups as a possibility. One nice feature I believe they have is
a chat room function. That would be nice for  live interviews, discussions, etc.
I also like the drive space and web page space they make available. It might be
possible to go for the $500 offer and then use the money to pay for the
no-advertising version which is only about $60 per year.

> Members are expected to refrain from (among other things):
>
> "Using the service for illegal purposes or for posting material that is
> unlawful, harassing,  abusive, threatening, harmful, vulgar, obscene,
> tortuous, libelous, invasive of another s privacy, or otherwise
> objectionable, including but not limited to material that contains
> blatant expressions of bigotry, prejudice, racism, hatred, or profanity,
> or that promotes or provides instructional information about illegal
> activities or promotes physical harm or injury against any group or
> individual; . . ."
>
> Would that cover your case?

Definitely! Our list is about blues music. Race is a major issue in discussions.
No one I've seen on the list has been blatantly racist but I've feared that some
white supremacist lunatic might join the list just to stir trouble.
Unfortunately those kinds of folks are out there just looking for trouble.

> I still very much like Listserv and wish the university for which I am
> teaching this Internet based course agreed :-)

As a whole, the listowners of our group like Listserv and would like to stay
with it. But we have to look at as many options as possible.

Thanks for your thoughts.
--
Walter Potter