Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 14:17:18 +0200
On     Fri,     27     Jun     1997    22:11:52     +1000     David     M
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>Just on the issue  of large lists and sendmail etc,  how come LSOFT does
>not develop a LSMTP version for UNIX?

We are  working on  it. The  market however  is tiny,  with at  least 4-5
brands that  need to be supported,  and the priority reflects  this. With
one  exception,  people  who  really needed  LSMTP  eventually  bought  a
dedicated NT  box to run  LSMTP on, and after  a couple months  they even
admitted that  while they  wanted to  go on  record confirming  that they
still did hate NT, the LSMTP "black box" did the job reliably and was not
the major problem they had initially thought it would be.

>As it is so fast would it not be a product in demand by UNIX users?

Well,  about 99.8%  of  unix  users would  not  contemplate switching  to
another MTA  unless there was  positively, absolutely  NO WAY to  get the
work done  with sendmail,  as demonstrated by  having spent  three months
trying to make  it work with sendmail without success.  The other day for
instance I was talking with a future customer and he mentioned that there
had been surprisingly  no fuss in their internal meeting  when the guy in
charge of  the project declared  that he thought  LISTSERV on NT  was the
best option.  However when he  added that  LSMTP would be  needed because
sendmail was not up  to the task, there was an  uproar and someone stated
that whatever  can be done  on NT can easily  be beaten by  sendmail, ten
times over. This happens all the time unfortunately.

  Eric