Hal Keen <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 12 May 2015 19:48:27 -0500
> I am a list owner and a moderator.  How do I capture all the SMTP headers
> as well as text of a spam message presented for approval to me via the
> browser interface as moderator/owner.  I use an anti-spam service which
> will allow people to submit suspected spam to them for analysis and
> reporting.  However, not surprisingly, they want all the headers including
> the 'received' headers, etc.  The 'List Moderation - Message Viewer' only
> display the subject, from, date, and
> content-type, parts/attachment information and body text.  Is there
> something I can do, or do I need to contact my site administrators.  This
> is on a 16.0 listserv.

The method I use--and I admit this "feels" scary the first time you try
it--is based on the fact that messages from non-subscribers (which generally
include all spammers) have to be approved TWICE, because I require
confirmation from non-subscribers. The first time simply overrides the
confirmation delay and sends me a copy of the message to notify me it's
awaiting my approval. That gives me a full header to investigate.

If you don't have the double-approval provision in your list configuration,
then presumably the notice that a message is awaiting approval is emailed to
someone. That person should have a full copy--not in the List Moderation
interface on the Web, but in their email--which should be reportable to your
anti-spam service. If that person isn't you, maybe it should be.

If you're using my first-approval method, then you should make sure it
behaves as expected with non-spam messages before risking it on spam ones.
And you should also have up-to-date malware protection on the computer where
you receive it, and preferably set your email client to read email, by
default, only in plaintext.

Hal Keen