Mon, 18 Jun 2001 13:29:36 -0700
On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 03:17:19PM -0400, Jane-Kerin Moffat wrote:
> Are you referring only to banners repeated in replies.  How would you
> set your script for that purpose.

Yes, bottom banners, aka footers, added by LISTSERV. LISTSERV
(obviously) knows what the footer is, since it is added to each
message (on lists that have footers enabled), so scanning for it
before posting the message would be easy.

> If not, wouldn't your option in effect prevent anyone with
> advertising-supported mail services. (e.g. Juno) from posting to the
> the list?  Is that what you want?

No, I'm not asking for this. In any case, it's not practical for LISTSERV
to scan for footers added by other software; someone would have to
maintain a constantly changing list of footers that would trigger the
desired action.

To me, stacked list footers are a minor annoyance, but the gross
overquoting that usually accompanies them is a major annoyance, so
major that I'd run my lists on my Linux box (where incoming filters are
easily added) if DSL or cable were available in my area.

Overquoting is particularly common among those who prepend their reply
to the original post instead of following the traditional custom of
appending replies to judiciously quoted parts of the original post.
I've seen as many as 5 previous posts quoted in their entirety by
prependers who apparently never look at the end of the message that
they are replying to.

The option of rejecting messages that contain the list footer would
eliminate this major annoyance. Some list owners who don't presently use
a bottom banner might choose to do so to get the capability of
automatically rejecting messages that contain excessive quoting.

-rex