Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 6 May 2000 15:44:12 -0400
> This is a UNIX account, but my other E-mail account at the University
> of Kansas, that I use for most of my work-related E-mail, is a
> Microsoft Exchange Server account, and I use Outlook as a client for
> it.  I *don't* use Word as an E-mail composer (Outlook has a perfectly
> good one of its own) so I don't know whether this helps any, but the
> few pieces of E-mail that I've sent from my Exchange account to this
> account are formatted as plain text.  Outlook does offer you a choice
> of plain text, rich text, or HTML; messages sent to addressses outside
> of the server appear to default to plain text if there's no formatting
> and to one of the other two if there is.

In Outlook 2000 and Outlook 98, the global choice is under Tools,
Options, Mail Format.  It gives you the choice of Plain Text, Rich
Text, or HTML.  The choice of whether or not to use Word for editing is
also there.  We recommend against it.  Rich Text goes out as plain text
if there is no special formatting.  There are also options in the
Internet Mail Service configuration to control formatting for outgoing
Internet Mail.

LISTSERV by default strips out MS-TNEF (Rich Text) files sent to lists.
Language=Exchange overrides that.

I believe that, at least with Outlook 2000, if you select HTML, it sends
the message at multipart/alternative if there is any special formatting.