Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 6 Jul 1997 08:52:18 -0400
I don't know if most LISTSERV hosts are configured like ours, BUT list
distributions for AOL.COM users are sent via the LISTSERV backbone site

AOL.COM                        goes to PLUM.EASE.LSOFT.COM (766)

which is accessed via the following routing (when generated from
LISTS.PSU.EDU):

 PLUM.EASE.LSOFT.COM: CUNYVM   PLUM.EASE.LSOFT.COM

CUNYVM (bitnet) appears in our MAILER tables as:

 * CUNYVM.BITNET is routed as follows:
 * <.BITNET> PSUVM SMTP BSMTP NETDATA @INTERBIT.CREN.NET

An MX lookup of the INTERBIT.CREN.NET points to its own A record.  Looking
up the A record and then doing a REVERSE lookup reveals:

99.129.112.128.in-addr.arpa.    11077   IN      PTR     pucc.Princeton.EDU.

which means that PSU list mail for AOL.COM subscribers goes from Penn State
to Princeton (via the Internet) to CUNYVM via the bitnet (and any possible
intermediate RSCS links  PUCC --> PUNFSV2 --> CUNYVMV2 --> CUNYVM), then
hop back on to the Internet and go to PLUM.EASE.LSOFT.COM's LISTSERV, which
then does an MX lookup on AOL.COM and goes to any one of the EIGHT MX hosts
for AOL.COM.  Though I was able to do a TRACEROUTE to several of those MX
hosts, I was unable to get the SMTP port to respond (but I did not try all
eight).

Having said all that, I wonder if that is how AOL subscribers REALLY
receive (when to do) list mail?

--
mailto:[log in to unmask]          Tel: +1 814 863 1843
31 Shields Bldg;  University Park,  PA   16802-1202 USA