Kevin Parris <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:55:44 -0500
No . . . just that I want the experience of subscribing to be the same for the subscriber, whether the list is "open,confirm" or "by owner"  - so they go through the same interactions with the server 'out there' every time (allowing for some variation in message content, so they are told "your request must be approved by the list owner" immediately, but then once approved, they get the "confirmation" sequence instead of a "you have been added" notice).

I also have this question lurking in the back of my mind - what if the subscribe request was forged, to a "by owner" list, and the confirmation isn't done, does one wind up with an unknowing subscriber added to the list - since the apparent-request-origin address isn't asked to verify it?  (Please be kind if I'm off base on this, as I am quite new to being a LISTSERV site maintainer).

At 09:21 01/18/2001 Thursday, Kevin Parris wrote:
 >How about enabling the combination "Subscription =By Owner, Confirm", such
 >that instead of the owner submitting an ADD command when the subscriber
 >request is approved, the server simply proceeds with the usual Confirm
 >process after the owner OKs the request?
End Reply

Do you mean that the owner's email address/account has been forged and/or
compromised and that somehow the OK will remedy that?

/Pete