"David W. Baker" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 Apr 1995 18:10:24 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, LISTSERV list
owners' forum <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I really don't see his posting of homophobic (and misogynistic as well)
> crap as "free speech" but more as an *abuse* of same.
>
> Anyone have *any* guidance at all on this one? I haven't filtered him
> yet thinking I'd be accused of censorship on content.
[...]
> My gut impulse says filter him. The card carrying ACLU member in me says,
> "Dont!"

   I'm a card carrying member of the ACLU as well, but I don't let
everyone come into my living room to propound hateful things. Eventually,
I'd ask such a person to leave. One would need to take a very fuzzy and
extreme interpretation of the First Amendment to claim that I would be
denying anyone's Constitutional right to free speech by doing so.
   Your mailing list is your and your subscribers' own private space.
While you may have a public invite to come join the fun, you have every
right to set some rules of appropriate conduct up front.
   At best, I'd make it clear to this individual that you are responsible
for maintaining the mailing list, and that you have problems with some of
what he has posted in the past. Should he continue, you will add him to
the filter, and he can look to other more appropriate forums to speak his
mind.
   And my liberal conscience would still be happy...

--dwb--

David W. Baker | [log in to unmask] | <URL:http://www.netspace.org/users/dwb/>