Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 15:34:29 EDT
> Hi all. I have a question that may have an obvious answer. However, I am not
> really very savvy, and hence am asking  for help. I have a subscriber who is
> subscribed to our list, but who does not receive mail, even though she is
> set to mail.  I do not know if Listserv is case sensitive.  One problem , I
> thought, could be that her address is actually in lower case, but when she
> subscribes to the list, the machine switches her over to upper case, ie
> [log in to unmask]  Her mailing address is [log in to unmask]
> Does this make a difference? Why does Listserv change her address to upper
> case after the @ sign.?

The case of the host name does not matter.  All Internet hosts are required
to accept email with the host name in any combination of upper and lower case.
I don't know the reason for certain that LISTSERV translates the host to upper
case, but I suspect it's to make it easier to sort the addresses into order
by host name for greater efficiency in email delivery, at least on Unix
systems.

The userid in an email address is allowed to be case sensitive, although it
is not for the vast majority of hosts.  LISTSERV preserves the case of the
userid.

Are you getting any error messages back for her?