Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:31:35 +1100

>We use Exchange for our SMTP server and Outlook 2000 for most,
>though not all, of the clients.

How familiar are you with the nuts & bolts of either of these?  Both
Exchange and Outlook can be configured to automatically convert any messages
(rich text or HTML) into plain text.  In fact, Outlook even allows you to
specify mail by individual address, subject, sender, etc, or virtually any
combination you can think of.  Check the settings for affected users and see
if this has been enabled or not.

Another idea would be to post to this list a complete message with headers
intact.  A *properly* formatted email (and I use these terms loosely when
referring to MS mail products) should include both the HTML part and a
plain-text part.  Perhaps the headers seperating them are getting scrambled
in the transmission?  Maybe the HTML is incomplete or unreadable?  This
could be a cause for the HTML being displayed only sometimes and the
plain-text being displayed most of the time.

>--- sample header ---
>
>Language= Exchange                (* I put this in to try to solve the
>problem, but it doesn't
>seem to make a difference)

I'm assuming you know this already but I thought I'd point it out for the
sake of completeness.  LANGUAGE=EXCHANGE only controls whether LISTSERV
strips out proprietary Exchange attachments or not.  These are coded in the
header as 'application/ms-tnef' and can cause havoc with some mail readers
that don't understand them.  The default behaviour is to automatically
remove such attachments; by adding the keyword as you've done allows the
attachments to pass through untouched.

I hope this helps you to understand your problem a bit better.

Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medi
cal
advice..