Johnna Hodges <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 12:53:48 -0500
Greetings.

I have recently assumed the role as list manager of a list of approx.
150 subscribers.  I am also quite new at list management and new to
this list.  So please forgive me if this question is amateurish.

Prior to taking over, the secondary list owner had resorted to posting
personal information about another member with whom he had disagreed
(our topics often lead to political discussions).
The information he posted was data he collected from
the World Wide Web and included this person's profession, title,
address, and other URLs mentioning this person.   He claimed
that he wanted to discuss the issue of privacy and the internet, but
it seemed more that he was bent on public harassment of this one
individual by his use of personal examples.  He, however, did not
resort to foul language or name calling.

The guidelines for this list are at the WELCOME message, but do not
address this privacy issue specifically.  They deal with flaming,
name-calling, etc.  I would like to know if other listowners have
experienced this.  Do most of you feel this is inappropriate
behavior of a member, maybe even more so since this person was the
co-listowner?  Do others have a policy or guideline that addresses
this matter?

My personal opinion is that this is semi-private information that was
posted without the consent of the individual.  I also feel that this
type of exhibited behavior would stifle many of the discussions as
members would hesitate to post out of a concern that if others do
not agree with their posting then their personal information could
soon appear on the list.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you

Johnna Hodges