Adam Lasnik <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 02:20:39 +0000
I just want to publicly thank Stan for his excellent help... and also let
others know what I did in the meantime, before being able to try Stan's
suggestion.

I loaded the list of names into Microsoft Word.
Noting that -- despite at least a handful of general variations -- *ALL*
valid internet addresses were bound by EITHER <'s or ('s, I set up this
rule in the FIND AND REPLACE box:

-- REPLACE: [\(\)\<\>]
-- WITH: ^p

in english... replace any of these symbols: ()<> with a paragraph mark.
This, then, left all the internet addresses on lines by themselves.

I then used a simple grep program to grep all lines with an @, and save
those lines to a file.

I then loaded that file into Microsoft Word, and did:

-- REPLACE: ^p
-- WITH: ^pSET (listname) TOPICS: +(topicname) FOR

I cut and paste this final result, a few hundred lines at a time, into
mails sent to listserv.

It worked! :-)

Stan's way is a bit more elegant, I believe... and I plan to try that out
during my next batch of topic changes.

Thanks again, Stan :-)

 ADAM | Publisher of the "Smile List" (e-mail [log in to unmask])
 ---- | and the AdamPages website w/ RealAudio music, pictures,
  :-) | humor, Live Chat, and much more at http://pobox.com/~smile